This patient information on Epoxy Resin is provided by John L. Meisenheimer, M.D. a board certified Dermatologist and skin care specialist based in Orlando, Florida. This information is not intended as a substitute for the medical advice or treatment of a dermatologist or other physician.
The results from your patch testing showed a positive reaction (contact allergy) to Epoxy resin. Your immune system reacts with its defense mechanisms with each exposure of epoxy resin to your skin. It is unknown why certain individuals develop allergic sensitivities. In some it may take repeat exposures over long periods of time before an allergy develops. Once you have become sensitized (allergic) your immune system always "remembers" and you will be epoxy sensitive. If you currently have eczema this chemical may be the cause but other factors may play a role as well. The information below will help you avoid this allergen.
The most common source of skin exposure to epoxy resin are uncured epoxy
Where is chemical found?
►Adhesives (home and Industrial use)
►Dental bonding agents
►Electrical insulating components
►Electron microscopy embedding
►Floorings and wall panel coatings
►Ink (ultraviolet cured)
►Microscopy immersion oil
Hints on avoiding chemical:
►Check product labels and use only ingredient labeled products that do not list this chemical or its synonyms.
►Avoid breathing fumes and touching uncured epoxy glues.
►Let your dentist know of the allergy because dentists sometimes use epoxy resins.
►It may take 2 to 3 weeks of avoiding exposure before improvement of your eruption begins.
►Wear nitrile gloves not rubber if handling epoxies resin because the epoxy can penetrate the rubber glove.
Other names you may see this chemical listed as:
Possible Occupational Exposure:
Sheet metal workers
Pattern makers and model makers
© John L. Meisenheimer, M.D. 2004 WWW.OrlandoSkinDoc.com